Thank you for your interest in volunteering with our team! New volunteer opportunities are constantly being posted, so please continue to check back if there isn’t anything here that fits your interests today.
To apply to a role, please checkout our recruitment process here.
If you have any questions about volunteering with us, please don’t hesitate to email Yvonne.
Business Development Manager
Do you have experience in Business Development (BD) or Sales and are looking for an opportunity to develop your management skills? The Business Development Manager oversees the existing sales pipeline and develops new business opportunities related to the member programs of TravelWise and Impact Network.
Working with the Executive Director, and Programs Division Manager the BD Manager develops and implements the strategy for long-term growth and membership opportunities. As a Functional Area Manager (FAM), the BD Manager manages a team of up to 4 BD Generalist volunteers; motivating the team, tracking performance and reporting key metrics.
As a Business Development Manager you would:
- Develop and evolve business development strategy process
- Work with Executive Director and Program Managers on membership growth
- Generate new leads, identify and contact potential leads, screen potential business opportunities, select leads that are inline with strategies, and support and facilitate pitch logistics
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of marketing strategies for membership growth
- Manage BD department team communications (e.g. email, phone inquiries, and marketing collateral)
- Coordinate BD team meetings
- Train and onboard volunteers and supporting their leadership development
- Develop yearly goals that support SWR objectives
- Work with other FAMs as needed
As a strong candidate for this role you bring:
- Passion for environmental sustainability
- Management skills
- Analytical with strong attention to detail
- Self-driven and motivated to achieve results
- Experienced in or a strong desire to gain additional experience in business development/sales
- Project management skills
- Excellent communication, both oral and written
- Strong organizational skills
- Relationship management experience
- Interest in merging business and environment
- Experience and interest in delivering presentations
- Salesforce experience an asset
- Approximately 10+ hours per week
- Regular attendance and participation in several recurring meetings including bi-monthly BD Team meetings, bi-monthly SWR Team meetings, monthly 1:1 meetings with ED, monthly program manager meetings, monthly FAM meetings, monthly 1:1 meetings with volunteer team of BD Generalists, and optional weekly Impact Network meetings.
- One year time commitment.
Microforest Project Coordinator
Are you super organized, with a keen interest in lending your skills to support the coordination of SWR’s cross collaborative microforest project to plant 1000 trees across 10 plots throughout the planting season ending in November 2022? We have an immediate opening for a volunteer Microforest Project Coordinator.
As Microforest Project Coordinator You Would:
- Aid in the creation of a microforest stewardship plan to ensure the maintenance and health of the plots.
- Perform outreach and promote planting days to the general public and business community of Waterloo Region.
- Identify what is required for plot maintenance over a 5 year period after planting, and then onwards.
- Update signage that will be stationed at each microforest.
- Assist in coordinating planting days, including but not limited to: scheduling, managing planting supplies and food orders for the volunteers.
- Engage and recruit volunteers from sponsoring organizations to participate in planting days.
To be great in this role you bring:
- Experience or formal education in public relations/engagement, marketing, event management or similar experience.
- Serious attention to detail.
- Able to work individually with minimal supervision as well as part of a team.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Some knowledge of native plant species and ecology is considered an asset but not required.
- Experience using Google Suite apps (Docs, Sheets, Slides).
- Experience working with volunteers is an asset but not required.
- Passion for environmental sustainability is an asset.
Approximately 5 hours per week (including bi-monthly SWR Team meeting Tuesdays from 5:30 -7:30pm, team social events and regular meetings as set by the Community Engagement Manager). We are looking for candidates who are able to start as soon as possible and commit until the end of November 2022.
Human Resources Generalist
Do you have a passion for human resources, with a particular interest in recruitment and selection? Are you looking for an opportunity to contribute your time and talents in human resources? This is a great opportunity for a candidate early-in-career looking to sharpen skills and grow professionally to support the Sustainable Waterloo Region team to further their impacts within Waterloo region. We provide a supportive environment with mentoring and guidance.
As the Human Resources Generalist you will:
- Take to lead on recruitment and selection activities (staff, intern, and volunteers); working closely with Hiring Managers to develop job descriptions and write attractive job postings.
- Maintain postings on the SWR website, and post to outside job boards.
- Screen applicant resumes and present to hiring team.
- Conduct initial phone screens and/or participate in interviews when able.
- Communicate with prospective candidates, including coordination and booking of interviews with selected candidates.
- Maintain HR documentation in accordance with best practices ensuring the HR team’s file management is well organized and up-to-date.
- May conduct three-month check-ins and volunteer exit interviews.
- May develop and deliver HR program training materials.
- Support with annual volunteer survey creation, distribution and analysis.
- Work with other HR team members to improve HR processes.
- Support ad-hoc HR projects.
- May help with planning/attendance of team building, and recruitment events.
- Other duties as needed to support achieving the HR team goals.
As a strong candidate you have:
- Formal education in Human Resources with at least 1 year of relevant generalist experience (including resume screening, conducting interviews, etc.).
- Experience working with confidential information.
- Organizational and project coordination skills
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills
- The ability to work independently to prioritize tasks with minimal supervision
- Self-driven and motivated to achieve results
- Working towards or interest in pursuing CHRP an asset.
- Experience working with volunteers an asset.
- Passion for environmental sustainability an asset.
- Approximately 5 hours per week (including bi-monthly SWR Team meeting Tuesdays from 5:30 -7:30pm, team social events and regular HR one-to-one and team meetings as set by the HR Manager). We are looking for candidates who are able to commit to a one year minimum.