Thank you for your interest in volunteering with our team! New volunteer opportunities are constantly being posted, so please continue to check back if there isn’t anything here that fits your interests today.
To apply to a role, please checkout our recruitment process here.
If you have any questions about volunteering with us, please don’t hesitate to email Yvonne.
Community Events Generalist
Do you have a passion for organizing memorable events that inspire people? Are you looking for an opportunity to contribute your time and talents in marketing & communications? The Community Events Generalist is responsible for supporting the planning and execution of Sustainable Waterloo Region(SWR) events. This includes promoting the event to community members, supporting the planning and execution events. and creating and supporting opportunities for community participation. This is a great opportunity for a candidate looking to sharpen skills and grow professionally by sharing the message that Sustainable Waterloo Region is leading the transformation to sustainable systems of energy, mobility and construction to help build a cleaner, more diverse economy, and a more just and equitable community. We provide a supportive environment with mentoring and guidance as this role works directly with the Community Engagement Manager.
As a Community Events Generalist You Would:
- Supporting the planning, preparation and execution of eight core SWR events-and any additional program-specific events- throughout each year. This includes, but is not limited:
- Speaker acquisition
- Marketing for event promotion
- Assisting in pre-event preparation and setup
- On-site event support
- Engaging with community members at events in Waterloo Region about Sustainable Waterloo Region’s programs and impacts.
- Acting as a representative for Sustainable Waterloo Region, empowering community members to achieve our 80% GHG emissions reduction target by educating them on our programs and partner organizations.
- Responsible for communicating with the Community Engagement Manager if issues arise at the event(s).
- Sharing the responsibility of setting up and taking down event materials and equipment with other volunteers and SWR staff.
- If signed up to be a driver for an event, ensure all materials are picked up and delivered to the event, as well as returned and organized (not required for role).
- Completing post-event evaluations to provide ongoing feedback for continual learning and reporting.
As a strong candidate for this role, you have the following skills, attributes, and experience:
- Passion for environmental sustainability.
- Interest in being part of a collaborative team, but with the ability to work independently and remain self-motivated.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Experience or a strong desire to gain experience in event planning, public relations, marketing or relevant experience is an asset but not required.
- 5 hours per week
- One year time commitment
- Attendance and participation weekly internal Community Engagement Team meetings and bi-monthly SWR Team meetings (Tuesdays from 5:30 -7:30pm).
Supported By: Community Engagement Manager
Benefits: The Community Events Generalist will have the opportunity to be part of a team of like-minded individuals who are passionate about sustainability, while also making connections with other marketing-focused volunteers. He/she will have access to a reduced price GRT bus pass through SWR’s TravelWise membership.
Location: The Community Events Generalist will receive an SWR email address and access to Google Drive, allowing him/her to complete volunteer tasks remotely or in the Sustainable Waterloo Region office.
To apply please: Send an email with your current resume and cover letter to Lindsay at firstname.lastname@example.org letting us know why you’re interested in volunteering with us and how the position you’ve selected aligns with your goals for volunteering. Include the role title and your name in the subject line.