The Sustainable Waterloo Region team is a diverse group of smart, talented and passionate people working together to build a greener future in Waterloo Region. We believe in collaboration, tackling challenging and rewarding projects, and helping each other succeed.
Who We Are
We’re a diverse group that works well together because we believe in what we’re doing and have common goals for our community. We also share like-minded values, ideas, and a strong work ethic.
Here’s a few more things to know about us:
- We live by our values, which means we all have a strong passion for sustainability
- We believe in a collaborative approach and community-based leadership
- We believe in the power of conversation to get things done because conversation leads to action, and action leads to results
- We’re flexible, so we all work wherever and whenever we get our best work done
- We value our entrepreneurial roots, we’re innovative, and we’re not afraid to make precedent-setting decisions
- We know that we don’t have all the answers yet and that we haven’t necessarily found the ‘best’ way to do things. As a result, we’re always working to improve and we value new voices with different perspectives
- We dress casually. Shoes are optional 🙂
- We value our community and believe that together we can create a future that is better for all people and the environment
- We deeply value the contributions of our volunteers—they are the backbone of our organization. Because of this, as we grow our permanent staff team, each new position must enable more volunteers to be supported.
Why Sustainable Waterloo Region?
Our collaborative work approach is different to many other organizations. At SWR, all volunteers and staff are integral to both our operations and success. Everyone is welcome to take part in the decision-making process, whether we’re discussing potential speakers for our next event, next year’s annual budget, or what new initiative we should tackle next. And, most importantly, we’re all working hard together for a more sustainable future.
We offer unique opportunities for volunteers to share their expertise and learn new skills in any functional area. This includes business development, public relations, GHG & program services, marketing, human resources, finance, research, strategic planning and governance, web development, and administration.
The Sustainable Waterloo Region team brings talent and enthusiasm to everything we do. We work collaboratively to grow the impact of our organization and make positive progress toward the environmental and economic health of our community. And we have fun while we do it!