Thank you for your interest in volunteering with our team! New volunteer opportunities are constantly being posted, so please continue to check back if there isn’t anything here that fits your interests today.
To apply to a role, please checkout our recruitment process here.
If you have any questions about volunteering with us, please don’t hesitate to email Yvonne.
ChargeWR Program Manager
ChargeWR aims to increase the adoption of Electric Vehicles (EVs) and installation of charging stations in Waterloo Region through promotion efforts and collaborative opportunities. This includes running events, providing public EV test drive opportunities, consulting on charging station installations, and assisting organizations with understanding EV benefits and options for their fleet/employees/customers. The ChargeWR Program Manager is responsible for the oversight, planning and resourcing of the ChargeWR program, as well as the management of the ChargeWR volunteer team.
As the ChargeWR Program Manager you would:
- Ensure that the ChargeWR Program is planned and enacted in alignment with SWR strategic priorities, goals, and targets
- Track and report on ChargeWR metrics that align with SWR goals
- Collaborate with ClimateActionWR and the WR community to establish a new target for EV numbers in Waterloo Region.
- Actively participate as a member of the organization’s Functional Area Management (FAM) team, including regular attendance in the monthly two-hour Functional Area Manager meetings
- Report key ChargeWR accomplishments to the Board of Directors through contributions to the Executive Director’s monthly board update document
- Report key ChargeWR accomplishments to team members through contributions to the Executive Director’s Friday update and bi-monthly SWR Team meetings
- Develop and execute a plan for the of the ChargeWR program, including specific goals and targets within Waterloo Region
- Actively collaborate with relevant stakeholders within Waterloo Region to create strategic partnerships to achieve ChargeWR goals and targets
- Plan ChargeWR outreach activities and events with volunteers
- Identify the program’s need for volunteer support and work with the SWR HR Team to hire these volunteers
- Manage ChargeWR team volunteers including task assignment and monthly 1:1 meetings
- Encourage ChargeWR team participation in SWR team socials and team meetings
- Work with Fund Development team to Identify local, provincial, and federal grants/sponsors and write proposals to meet growth goals of the ChargeWR program
As a strong candidate you have:
- Passion for environmental sustainability, community-based leadership and Waterloo Region
- In-depth knowledge of Electric Vehicle technology
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain stakeholder relationships
- Connections within the local/provincial/national electric vehicle network, an asset
- Outstanding organizational, program planning, and project coordination skills
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills, including public speaking and telephone manner
- The ability to work independently to prioritize tasks with minimal supervision
- Self-driven and motivated to achieve results
- Approximately 5-10 hours per week (including monthly Functional Area Manager meetings Tuesdays from 5:30 -7:30pm; bi-monthly SWR Team meeting Tuesdays from 5:30 -7:30pm and regular ChargeWR team meetings as set by the ChargeWR Program Manager for a one year minimum with strong preference for a longer term commitment
- To apply check out our recruitment process here
Public Relations Coordinator – Regional Sustainability Initiative and TravelWise
Do you have a background in Public Relations or are interested in furthering your skills in this area? Our Communications team has an opening for a PR Coordinator to support our member programs, the Regional Sustainability Initiative and TravelWise. In this role, you will work with the Sustainable Waterloo Region program teams, the Marketing Team and the Events Team to execute marketing projects.
As a Public Relations Coordinator you would:
- Attend Regional Sustainability Initiative and TravelWise meetings to develop an understanding of each program’s upcoming PR needs (ex. social media, press releases, speaking engagements)
- Report potential upcoming PR projects to the Communications Manager during Communications Team meetings and through email
- Collaborate with program managers (the Regional Sustainability Initiative Program Manager and TravelWise Manager) to develop project plans for PR needs
- Collaborate with other members of the Communications Team members to complete program project deliverables (ex. Graphic Designer, Communications Specialist)
As a strong candidate for this role you bring:
- Passion for environmental sustainability
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong project management skills
- Public relations and/or communications experience a strong asset
- Keen eye for detail
- Interest in being part of a collaborative team, but with the ability to work independently and remain self-motivated
- Post-secondary degree in English or related field an asset
- Approximately 5 hours per week with a one year time commitment.
- Regular attendance and participation in several recurring meetings (including monthly 1:1’s with Communications Manager, Communications team meetings, bi-monthly SWR Team meetings (third Tuesday evening of every second month), SWR team socials, etc.
To apply check out our recruitment process here
Do you have graphic design skills, are passionate about environmental sustainability and are looking for an opportunity to volunteer your skills and make a difference in your local community?
Sustainable Waterloo Region is looking to build a team of “on-call” Graphic Designer volunteers to complete various projects. You will create new design content in line with our brand, and support the organization to maintain a consistent visual identity across a diverse range of print and web projects.
As a Graphic Designer you would:
- Work with the Marketing Manager to maintain consistency in Sustainable Waterloo Region’s brand identity, logo and professional templates
- Assist with the ongoing graphic design needs of Sustainable Waterloo Region, including the revision and creation of print materials, signage, web design, corporate slide decks, and year-end report
As a strong candidate for this role, you have:
- Knowledge and experience in, and access to Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, or InDesign
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team that provides and receives feedback on creative concepts
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Post-secondary education in a graphic design related discipline or relevant experience an asset
This is a project-based role and the time commitment will vary with the type and complexity of the project
Please include samples of your work with your application
To apply check out our recruitment process here