Crawford & Company (Canada)
Crawford & Company is the world’s largest independent provider of claims management solutions to the risk management and insurance industry as well as self-insured entities, with an expansive global network serving clients in more than 70 countries. The Crawford System of Claims Solutions offers comprehensive, integrated claims services, business process outsourcing and consulting services for major product lines including property and casualty claims management, workers compensation claims and medical management, and legal settlement administration. The Company’s shares are traded on the NYSE under the symbols CRDA and CRDB.
Business Type: Financial and Insurance
40% GHG reduction commitment from 2010 (absolute)
Emissions: Crawford began tracking their GHG emissions in 2011. The graph below displays their emissions data thus far.
Notable GHG Reduction and Sustainability Projects
Green Team leaders meet monthly to ensure Crawford’s GHG goals are on track. A larger group of volunteers meet every two months to guide strategy and provide input. This group is comprised of staff from every level of the organization and comprises people from different departments. Crawford’s Green Team has also launched campaigns to increase employee commitment to the environment and is responsible for coordinating several events that their employees’ participate in, such as the annual Global Day of Service. During this day employees plant trees in Waterloo’s Laurel Creek Conservation Area and pick-up trash along the Humber River. The group also manages a GREENSHIFT blog that creates awareness, celebrates ‘eco-heros’ and gives employees the tools to initiate their own events.
“Innovation doesn’t happen in a bubble, it is a result of diversification (of team and ideas), the ability to transform an idea into a well thought out strategy and the constant desire to do better. When you have a team of collaborators and your mind is open to new ideas that are sometimes outside your comfort zone, innovation abounds.”
- Incorporate sustainability criteria into all purchasing policies and continue to select vendors that offer eco-friendly solutions.
- Strive to make an impact by reducing carbon emissions by 20% over the next ten years.
- Improve recycling and re-purposing programs.
- Broaden partnerships to further enhance reporting compliance and information sharing.
- Begin a phased roll-out of Green Team engagement programs in locations across Canada.
- Improve blog readership on the company’s Greenshift blog and introduce new employee engagement programs.
- Create a national challenge that will engage employees from across Canada in sustainability while providing the company with measurable data.
- Expand e-cycling campaign and promote TravelWise to larger branches.
Green Team of the Year Award (2013): This award recognizes the member of the RCI with the most active and effective Green Team.
In 2013 Crawford became a ‘Corporate Friend’ of the Network for Business Sustainability
Additional Information and Pictures
Crawford Earth Day Clean Up: