City of Cambridge
The City of Cambridge is one of the fastest growing areas in the country and is part of Canada’s Technology Triangle. The City completed its GHG energy management plan in 2013 and plans on achieving a 6% absolute GHG emission reduction by 2019/20.
Business Type: Government - Municipal
Observing Organization in Milestone 4
Notable GHG Reduction and Sustainability Projects
The GHG Reduction Team (a.k.a. Green Team) reports to the Sustainability Task Force and meets monthly to provide regular reports to senior management committees and council. Together these two committees have an enormous influence on the City and Corporate level decisions.
Sustainability Taskforce Successes:
- Corporate Sustainability Plan and the action plan for addressing Council-approved Plans
- Corporate GHG Emissions Reduction (Energy Management) Plan
- Tree Canopy Assessment (inventory and assessment of ecosystem services of trees in the city, including GHG reduction potential and Urban Forest Plan)
The City of Cambridge continues to enhance policies to be consistent with energy conservation at both the corporate and community levels including the municipal Gold LEED® green building policy standard, the Corporate Sustainability Plan (www.cambridge.ca/sustainability), and Official Plan (www.cambridge.ca/officialplan).
Newly crafted Purchasing Policy now takes GHG footprint into account when awarding bids.
- Awarded ‘Best of Ontario’ by Days Out Ontario for Green Buildings to visit.
- Milestone 3 of Partners for Climate Protection acknowledged by Federation of Canadian Municipalities in January 2013
Additional Information and Pictures:
City Hall – Cambridge (LEED Gold)
Member Profile Video: