Do you have a passion for writing and design? Are you looking for an opportunity to contribute your time and talents in marketing & communications? The Communications Generalist is responsible for developing content for organizational online communications and ensuring the use of appropriate and consistent external messaging. This is a great opportunity for a candidate looking to sharpen skills and grow professionally by contributing to the creation of new content in line with our brand. We provide a supportive environment with mentoring and guidance as this role works directly with the Communications Manager.
Communications Generalists have two focus areas that often overlap but do have specific tasks due to organizational needs.
As a Communications Generalist You Would:
- Collaborate with Functional Area Managerand internal teams to develop content that effectively reaches identified target audiences.
- Collaborating with other members of the Communications Team to complete program project deliverables (ex. Graphic Designer, Photographer etc.)
- Social media content curation on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn using Hootsuite.
- Copy guidance for social media channels as needed.
- Publishing content on SWR website using WordPress.
- Supporting media relations activities, including internal record keeping of media hits, contacts, writing and distributing media releases and advisories for the SWR website.
- Participating in meetings to develop an understanding of the upcoming marketing needs for SWR, its member and/or non-member programs (ex: messaging changes, promotional materials, case studies, videos).
As a strong candidate for this role, you have the following skills, attributes, and experience:
- Interest in being part of a collaborative team, but with the ability to work independently and remain self-motivated
- Passion for environmental sustainability
- Samples showcasing your excellent writing, editing, and communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Knowledge and experience in, and willingness to work in Canva on select projects
- Ability to work as part of a team that provides and receives feedback on creative concepts
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Post-secondary education in marketing or a related discipline or relevant experience an asset
- 5 hours per week
- One year time commitment
- Attendance and participation in bi-monthly SWR Team meeting (Tuesdays from 6-7pm) and regular monthly Marketing Team meetings
Supported By: Marketing & Communications Manager
Benefits: The Communications Generalist will have the opportunity to be part of a team of like-minded individuals who are passionate about sustainability, while also making connections with other marketing-focused volunteers. He/she will have access to a reduced price GRT bus pass through SWR’s TravelWise membership.
Location: The Communications Generalist will receive an SWR email address and access to Google Drive, allowing him/her to complete volunteer tasks remotely or in the Sustainable Waterloo Region office.
To apply please: Send an email with your current resume, cover letter and some samples of your work to Lindsay at firstname.lastname@example.org letting us know why you’re interested in volunteering with us and how the position you’ve selected aligns with your goals for volunteering. Include the role title and your name in the subject line.