Thanks for your interest in working with Sustainable Waterloo Region. If you are interested in applying for a particular position, please follow the application instructions included in the individual position posting below.
Operations Manager – Maternity Leave
OPERATIONS MANAGER – MATERNITY LEAVE COVERAGE
Do you have a knack for easily navigating between building out a budget, participating in hiring interviews and troubleshooting basic IT issues to ensure the organization runs smoothly? We are looking for an experienced Operations Manager to join our team, covering a maternity leave. The Operations Manager is responsible for ensuring that Sustainable Waterloo Region’s internal operations run smoothly, ensuring other team members are well supported and able to focus on their roles. This includes oversight of human resources, finance, fund development, IT, events and the office.
As the Operations Manager you would
With the support of the Human Resources (HR) Team:
- Manage the recruitment of new volunteers, staff and student interns including onboarding, orientation and off boarding processes for all team members
- Develop and execute annual recognition efforts for volunteers
- Administer the annual performance review process across the organization
- Manage and/or oversee the planning and execution of bi-monthly SWR Team meetings, bi-monthly SWR Team socials, Functional Area Managers (FAMs) meetings and annual office team socials
- Manage scheduling and agenda creation for the monthly office team meeting
With the support of the Finance Manager:
- Complete preparations for SWR’s annual financial audit and respond to requests from the auditor for additional information and support documentation
- Complete monthly financial reporting for the Executive Director and Board of Directors
- With the direction support of the Finance Manager/Team and the Executive Director::
- Develop the 2020 organizational budget
- Execute monthly payroll processes in partnership with the HR Manager
- Support FAMs with ongoing financial tracking and reporting
- Run Finance and Audit Committee meetings quarterly with the Board Treasurer and other committee members
- Manage the day-to-day execution of accounts payable and accounts receivable processes
- Work with IT volunteers to ensure internal IT needs are met, such as timely troubleshooting and resolution of team member technical issues
- Ensure software licenses are maintained and work with our IT sponsor(s) on updating and replacing equipment
- Manage processes for tracking of grant opportunities and matching internal needs with these opportunities as well as the creation and submission of grant applications with assistance from Fund Development Team volunteers and program staff
- Manage the attraction, retention and or recognition and reporting for all grantors/funders, corporate sponsors and in-kind sponsors
- Manage SWR’s relationship with our landlord, addressing leases, space use concerns and annual invoicing
- Ensure that all evolvGREEN space maintenance needs are met (ex. procurement of supplies, front desk staffing, etc.) with the support of appropriate team members
- Collaborate with Functional Area Managers across responsibility areas on goal setting and tracking
- Other tasks as assigned
As a strong candidate for this role, you have the following skills, attributes, and experience:
- University Degree in Business or relevant field of study.
- Passion for environmental issues, community-based leadership, and Waterloo Region.
- Strong sense of initiative with a proven ability to identify tasks that need to be actioned and willingness to address them.
- Ability to switch between multiple tasks and mindsets within short periods of time.
- Helping mentality, focused on ensuring others have the resources and support that they need to achieve the organization’s goals
- Outstanding organizational skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Experience planning events.
- Advanced comfort level with Microsoft Excel and working with numbers.
- Familiarity with basic accounting principles, HR principles and basic PC troubleshooting.
- Experience managing both staff and volunteers with an ability to engage teams across an organization.
- Experience managing an office environment or similar transferable experience with experience managing and respecting confidential information.
- Frequent availability outside 9-5pm standard business hours for events and volunteer meetings.
- A clear police record. The successful candidate will be required to submit a records check.
- Experience with QuickBooks, PayWorks, MailChimp, Gsuite, an asset.
- CHRP or CPA designation, an asset.
Employment Details: This is a contract covering a maternity leave until January 11th 2021; target start date is negotiable though not later than November 1 2019.
Compensation: $47,000 annually
Benefits: Team members can access a discounted bus pass and a benefits package is available for this role following three months of employment.
To apply please: Submit your cover letter and resume to Yvonne (firstname.lastname@example.org), with your name and the position title clearly marked in the subject line
Sustainability Events Coordinator
Sustainability Events Coordinator
Sustainable Waterloo Region is looking for a Full-Time Contract Events Coordinator, with a background in STEM to join our enthusiastic team of staff and volunteers.
If you are passionate about environmental sustainability, have a background in STEM, have corporate event planning experience and impressive organization skills we’d love to hear from you!
Sustainable Waterloo Region’s events focus on topics that are relevant to technical and business issues faced by our member organizations. Our member organizations are actively working towards reducing their GHG emissions, waste production and water consumption and face a variety of challenges as they work towards their targets. The successful candidate should be able to read and summarize highly technical content into event-based resources and liaise with stakeholders in Academia and corporations who are subject matter experts in their field, with confidence. The successful candidate will need to be well versed and able to demonstrate strong knowledge of climate science and most importantly be able to summarize the technical content discussed and deliberated in the events in a manner consumable to businesses. The successful candidate also requires granular knowledge of GHG emissions, emission sources, inventories, emission scoping, reporting schemes, waste audits, water technologies, data collection methodologies, analysis and more. Event summaries and communications will also include a level of calculation and presentation of data which requires analytics skills.
As the Events Coordinator you would be responsible for:
- Manage the efforts to build a positive Culture of Sustainability (CoS) at evolv1 and inspiring commitment toward sustainability actions among the building citizens through events. The successful candidate will co-lead the development of all CoS workshops as well as build and manage relationships essential to CoS research (including those with government, academia and building tenants).
- Planning and executing all elements of eight core Regional Sustainability Initiative events throughout each year, focusing on educating this program’s members on aspects of environmental sustainability. This includes, but is not limited to event topic selection, speaker acquisition/relationship maintenance, marketing, venue relations, catering/rental coordination, vendor management, volunteer coordination, on-site event support, and financial planning/reporting.
- Collaborate with the Business Division Manager and Program Managers on the development of the event strategy for the year as well as developing and maintaining event policies and procedures.
- Supporting all Sustainable Waterloo Region Program Managers in planning for and executing any additional program-specific events
- Planning and executing all aspects of our annual Evening of Recognition in April 2020 to celebrate the release of our year-end report from the following year and local organization environmental accomplishments
- Working with our Fund Development team on recognition of sponsors at events
- Planning and executing internal SWR Team events as needed
As the successful candidate you have deep knowledge of environmental sustainability and:
- Experience with corporate event-planning, building and adhering to a budget
- Experience with data analysis; survey results, post-event metric analytics,
- Proven project management skills
- High analytical skills and acute attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills
- Experience working with and managing vendor relationships
- Strong communication skills and experience working with a variety of stakeholders: academia, business executives and technical subject matter experts
- Exceptional time management and the ability to balance multiple projects at one time
- The ability to remain calm under pressure
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- A demonstrated ability to creatively integrate a theme/message into an event, making it stand out
- Experience with EventBrite, MailChimp, and WordPress an asset
- Experience with volunteer management, preferred
The hiring for this role is pending funding approval. The successful candidate must also meet the eligibility requirements of the funding entity.
Term: Start date is negotiable – ideally before November 1, Contract end date: April 30, 2019
Additional: Discounted Corporate Transit Pass
Reporting To: The successful candidate will be an employee of Sustainable Waterloo Region, reporting to the Business Division Manager.
Work Location: The Sustainability Events Coordinator will be based out of evolv1 building at 420 Wes Graham Way, Waterloo, with some travel to meetings and events throughout Waterloo Region.
Work Hours: The position requires the Sustainability Events Coordinator to work a flexible schedule as events occur on the occasional evening/weekend.
To apply please: Submit your cover letter and resume to Yvonne Stoll (email@example.com) with your name and the position title clearly marked in the subject line. The application process will close November 8th, 2019 however, applications will be considered and interviews will be scheduled as they are received.