Thanks for your interest in working with Sustainable Waterloo Region. If you are interested in applying for a particular position, please follow the application instructions included in the individual position posting below.
ClimateActionWR 80 by 50 Project Coordinator
Cutting-edge community climate action program in Waterloo Region is seeking a highly driven and organized coordinator to help lead our community into a low-carbon future. You must have a passion for community-based engagement, climate action, and improving environmental sustainability.
ClimateActionWR is a collaboration between local organizations and community members focused on climate change mitigation, and is led by Reep Green Solutions (Reep) and Sustainable Waterloo Region (SWR). It coordinates the activities of the Climate Action Plan – establishing cross-sector dialogue, facilitating collaborative opportunities, and monitoring and measuring progress towards achieving our community’s greenhouse gas (GHG) emission reduction target.
Last year, an 80% reduction target was endorsed to be achieved by 2050 (80 by 50) and ClimateActionWR is leading the two-year project that will build capacity for our municipalities, engage the community, and lead to the creation of our long-term climate action plan. The ClimateActionWR team, simultaneously continues to measure and report progress for our short-term target of 6% below 2010 levels by 2020.
As the 80 by 50 Project Coordinator you would:
- Support the development of the 80 by 50 community engagement process;
- Coordinate engagement initiatives including, but not limited to:
- Train and supervise volunteers associated with engagement activities;
- Create reports on the outcomes of community engagement activities and events;
- Coordinate social media content for all ClimateActionWR related activities;
- Coordinate internal and external communications for the 80 by 50 project;
- Plan and support the execution of capacity-building events including municipal workshops, forums, and webinars;
- Act as liaison between the Plan Manager and other stakeholders of ClimateActionWR;
- Create momentum, and drive change toward a low carbon future;
- Other tasks to support ClimateActionWR, as required.
As a strong candidate for this role, you have the following additional skills, attributes, and experience:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree or diploma in environmental studies or related area from a recognized university/college;
- Strong desire and passion for building relationships in the community and engaging with community members;
- Demonstrated passion for community-based leadership, taking climate action, and improving environmental sustainability in Waterloo Region;
- Excellent relationship management, event planning, and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to prioritize in a fast-paced multi-priority environment, respond quickly to changing expectations, and report back on tasks completed;
- Strong ability to work independently;
- Excellent problem-solving skills;
- Proven leadership skills and experience working collaboratively with a mix of staff and volunteers;
- Excellent written, oral, and presentation skills;
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, and Word;
- Graphic design, marketing, and/or community-based social marketing (CBSM) skills or experience, considered an asset;
- Experience writing informative, educational and promotional social media content for Facebook and Twitter;
- Experience working with local governments/on local governance issues;
- Knowledge of or experience in working with existing local programs and climate action efforts in Waterloo Region considered an asset.
Employment Details: 5-month contract with an end date of October, 31, 2019. The standard work hours for this position are from 9 am to 5 pm; however, the position requires frequent work on evenings/weekends due to meetings and events outside of standard work hours.
Compensation: $18.27/hour, 40 hours/week
Benefits: Team members can access a discounted bus pass.
Work Location: The Project Coordinator will work between the Reep Green Solutions (Kitchener) and Sustainable Waterloo Region (Waterloo) offices, with some travel to meetings and events throughout Waterloo Region.
To apply please: Submit your cover letter and resume to Yvonne (firstname.lastname@example.org) by May 24, 2019, with your name and the position title clearly marked in the subject line. Applications will be considered and interviews schedule as they are received.
The Administrative Coordinator is responsible for supporting Sustainable Waterloo Region’s (SWR) Executive Director with administrative tasks and ensuring smooth operations of the evolvGREEN space.
As the Administrative Coordinator you would:
- Manage the Executive Director’s calendar, acting as the sole point of contact for all meeting scheduling
- Support the Executive Director with document processing (ex. expense report completion)
- Establish organizational practices for the SWR office environment
- Act as the first point of contact for evolvGREEN guest/deliveries, and SWR phone calls (9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
- Respond to evolvGREEN tenant requests and concerns (ex. internet access, resources, etc.)
- Maintain relationships with our landlord and suppliers to support evolvGREEN operations
- Participate in evolvGREEN operations committee meetings to ensure tenant satisfaction and collaboratively establish organizational and operational practices for evolvGREEN common spaces
- Maintain organization and cleanliness of evolvGREEN common areas (ex. starting dishwasher, resetting furniture, stocking supplies)
- Communicate with community groups and evolv1 stakeholders to coordinate evolv1 tours as requests come in
- Support with additional administrative tasks for the Executive Director, as needed
As a strong candidate for this role, you have the following skills, attributes, and experience:
- A demonstrated passion for environmental issues and collaboration in Waterloo Region
- 1-2 years previous experience working in an administrative support role
- Incredible organizational skills
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Relationship oriented, with a practiced focus on customer service
- Keen attention to detail and a quick learner
- Ability to multi-task effectively in a fast-paced environment with rapidly changing priorities
- Self-driven worker with effective interpersonal skills
- Team player, open to working collaboratively with a variety of people
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Excel
- Experience with Gsuite applications, particularly calendar, an asset
Employment Details: This is a 7-month contract with the potential for long-term extension pending 2020 budget approval.
Compensation: $38,000 annually
Benefits: Team members can access a discounted bus pass and a benefits package is available for this role following three months of employment.
To apply please: Submit your cover letter and resume to Yvonne (email@example.com) as soon as possible, with your name and the position title clearly marked in the subject line.
Program Division Manager
The Program Division Manager is accountable for the success of Sustainable Waterloo Region’s (SWR)’s programs with specific targeted work in the evolvGREEN. This individual will work closely with the Executive Director (ED) and the Program Managers to effectively manage the day-to-day execution of all SWR programs including service delivery, reporting, analysis and processes, while also engaging the tenants of evolv1 and working with the research team at evolvGREEN. This leadership role is the second of three Division Managers that SWR is hiring following a 2016 review or our organizational structure.
As the Program Division Manager you would:
- Directly manage 4+ staff/volunteers on a day-to-day basis including mentorship, professional development and performance management.
- Monitor programs for consistent engagement and delivery of services to all stakeholders, identifying risks in programs and escalating these to the ED as necessary for mitigation.
- Coach Program Managers in the areas of program delivery, efficiency, reporting, member engagement and management.
- Work on incremental innovation in programs in partnership with the ED, and share knowledge with the ED to inform transformational innovation.
- Align program plans and goals to those of the organization.
- Develop Key Performance Indicators in partnership with Program Managers and the ED, and monitor them on an ongoing basis for program evaluation
- Develop, document, improve and monitor the success of processes for consistent and efficient SWR program delivery and to meet the business objectives of each program and the organization.
- Create consistencies and integration between SWR programs for their cost and time efficient delivery (ex. resources, frameworks, services, messaging).
- Collaborate with the SWR Management team on program integration with other Functional Areas, including those programs run by volunteers, for the clear delineation of roles, communication of needs and execution of support functions.
- Work in partnership with other organizations and associations that SWR is a part of (ex. Green Economy Canada).
- Lead the co-creation and implementation of the evolv1 culture of sustainability strategy, in collaboration with evolv1 building citizens and the academic research team partners
- Plan and coordinate evolv1 sustainability engagement activities, including planning and implementing communications, events, and meetings to secure buy-in.
- Act as SWR’s representative on the research team, participating in research meetings, contributing to the public sharing of research findings (in both written and oral formats), and maintaining a journal.
- Work closely with the ED and evolv1/evolvGREEN partners to achieve the objectives set out for evolvGREEN: sharing the story of evolv1 (feasibility study, business plan, culture of sustainability), ongoing engagement academia, businesses, thought leaders, government officials, investors, start-ups/scale-ups in the incubator, tenants, clients and partners of evolvGREEN.
- Define targeted performance metrics to ensure evolvGREEN programming is sufficiently supported to be successful.
- Facilitate and coordinate evolvGREEN internal and external facing programming
- Collaborate with the SWR Fund Development team to research and develop applications/proposals for new evolvGREEN funding from corporate sponsors as well as governmental and NGO sources, while also ensuring successful reporting on program funding.
- Support with other SWR program and operations elements of the organization such as event execution and business development outreach.
- Participate in team meetings including: Office Team, Functional Area Manager, SWR Team, Division Manager and program meetings (as applicable).
- Other duties as required.
As a strong candidate for this role, you have the following skills, attributes, and experience:
- Passion for environmental issues, community-based leadership, and Waterloo Region.
- In-depth understanding of the challenges and opportunities in our local, provincial and national sustainability ecosystems.
- At least 2 years’ people management experience, with demonstrated success developing a strong team and coaching for performance.
- Strong business background with understanding of how programs can contribute to organizational goals, KPIs and meeting the mission.
- Ability to build strong relationships with a diversity of people and organizations.
- Proven ability to manage complex collaborative relationships and projects across both staff and volunteer teams.
- Ability to learn independently and from individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Team player with established coaching success and development of a strong team.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Results-oriented and self-driven to succeed.
- Outstanding organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Impressive time management skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects of varying natures simultaneously.
- Exceptional skills in process development and execution.
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt to changing priorities that a new office environment and organizational structure may create.
- Availability outside of 9 AM-5 PM for events and volunteer meetings.
- Knowledge of greenhouse gas accounting, waste audits, and water footprinting, an asset.
- Experience working within local/provincial/national clean economy networks, an asset.
- Experience with fundraising and grant applications, an asset.
- 12-month contract with the potential to extend long-term pending 2020 budget approval.
- Compensation: $55,000 annually,
- Benefits: Team members can access a discounted bus pass and a benefits package is available for this role following three months of employment.
To apply please:
- Submit your cover letter and resume to Yvonne (firstname.lastname@example.org), with your name and the position title clearly marked in the subject line.
About Sustainable Waterloo Region:
Sustainable Waterloo Region is a not-for-profit that works with local organizations to convert their sustainability interest into action. Our programs today include: The Regional Sustainability Initiative, TravelWise, ClimateAction, ChargeWR, and evolv1.
evolvGREEN is the region’s foremost collaborative workspace for industry leaders, researchers, entrepreneurs and clean economy supporters. Located in Canada’s first net positive office building, evolv1, we offer a community approach to driving the clean economy and leading initiatives that will reduce environmental impact, improve well-being, and scale the impact of evolvGREEN across Canada. evolvGREEN is run collaboratively in partnership between Sustainable Waterloo Region (SWR), the Accelerator Centre (AC), the University of Waterloo (UW), and Wilfrid Laurier University (Laurier).