The Impact on a Community
September 17, 2015 | Tova Davidson
Waterloo Region is filled with large and successful companies who have wonderful and complex relationships with the community, its individual citizens, corporate citizens and community betterment organizations.
We know these relationships exist, but sometimes it can be difficult to fully grasp the impact they have on our community. Last Friday morning, the University of Waterloo released its Community Impact Report that highlights the key impact areas for this organization and all the things that are happening in and around the University. For me personally, it is thrilling to see that one of the impacts that they featured is “Ensuring a Sustainable Future.”
Sustainable Waterloo Region works with the University and other community partners in so many ways and in so many areas to strive to make the common goal of sustainability a reality in the Region. With the University of Waterloo this includes:
- The University is a member of our programs – both the Regional Carbon Initiative and TravelWise.
- We hire University students – in all areas of our organization there are graduates of the University of Waterloo working with us to promote environmental sustainability. Board, volunteers, interns and staff.
- They are a proud sponsor – it is through the Faculty of Environment that we receive funding to support some of our interns.
- They are part of our network – like Wilfrid Laurier University, the University of Waterloo supports the work of SWR and is a part of the network.
- Research and education in the area of environment – the Faculty of Environment educates the next generation in a multitude of areas and conducts important research to make sustainability the norm.
It is these kinds of partnerships that help small not-for-profits like SWR punch above our weight and create greater impact. We are thankful for all our community partnerships and the community of large and small players that are moving us forward toward a more sustainable future.