With the election less than a month away and mayoral candidates campaigning in full swing, it’s time for residents in Waterloo Region to think hard about the issues that are important to them, and how our elected officials are going to represent us in their respective offices, be they in Cambridge, in Kitchener, in Waterloo, or in the Townships.
At Sustainable Waterloo Region, we’re committed to a thriving Waterloo Region with a healthy environment and a vibrant economy. We work to advance the environmental sustainability of organizations across Waterloo Region through collaboration. We believe that Waterloo Region has the people, the resources and the desire to realize an economic and environmentally sustainable future – and the efforts of our residents, businesses, and politicians are going to get us there.
The next time a mayoral candidate comes to your door, keep environmental sustainability in mind when you’re asking your questions. After all, in Waterloo Region, we’re fortunate to have cities and towns that offer the best that life can offer: we’re no more than 20 minutes from a downtown or an uptown, or city parks that offer walking trails, playgrounds, pools, splash pads, skiing, snowboarding or tubing, or roadside vegetable stands heaving with locally grown produce. We’re surrounded by a river for canoeing or wading or fishing. For a land-locked region in Southern Ontario, we have it pretty good, and that’s worth preserving.
If you want to find out how your mayoral candidates will support the environmental sustainability of your Region and city, consider asking one or more of the following questions:
- What do you see our community doing well when it comes to improving the environmental sustainability of our local ecosystem? Where do you see opportunity for improvement?
- How are you going to address those improvements areas, if at all?
- How are you going to help Waterloo Region reduce GHG emissions emitted locally?
- How will you support Waterloo Region-based businesses that are making real efforts to reduce their GHG emissions?
- What will you do to encourage Waterloo Region based- businesses to make changes to reduce their GHG emissions?
We invite all mayoral candidates across the Region to respond to any and all of these questions directly on their personal blogs and campaign websites. For those who decide to take advantage of this opportunity, contact us at email@example.com and we will post a link to the page on your site where you address these questions.
See you at the polls!