Regional Carbon Initiative membership grew substantially during 2011 and commitments to reduce greenhouse gas emissions skyrocketed. What’s equally exciting and validating about these numbers, is that members of the Regional Carbon Initiative are making these commitments strategically. They are led by people who have both ambitious goals and a plan to achieve them. These are the people who build our sustainability community and who share and learn from each other to get results.
- Membership in Sustainable Waterloo Region’s Regional Carbon Initiative grew to 41 organizations in 2011 from 29 in 2010. Of that 41, 10 have committed to reduce their GHG emissions by 42, 550 tonnes, which is equivalent of taking 9,552 cars off the road.
- In 2011, 75% of all RCI member projects were done with a green team, up from 35% in 2010.
- 30% of RCI members have a measurable action plan already in place to reduce GHG emissions- almost 3.5 times higher than 2010.
- RCI members with Green Teams are 21% more likely to have a measurable action plan for success.
- Members that externally communicate their successes, are 22% more likely to have at least the intention to develop a measurable action plan.
- In 2011, 55% of returning members implemented a strategic plan for the first time.
The RCI community is made up of people who inspire and help each other. We look forward to watching the RCI grow and to see even more inspired actions and tangible reductions initiated by RCI members: in 2012 and beyond.