RCI Member: Whiting Design
100% reduction commitment from 2009 (absolute)
Website: Visit website
Business Type: Design
Gold Pledging Partner
Whiting Design provides modern design rooted in sustainability. A small to medium project specialist, Whiting Design works on residential, commercial interiors, office, retail, restaurant and small institutional projects within a 100km radius of our office in Waterloo. Clients want to create spaces which are modern, beautiful, functional, and economical, while reducing energy usage and improving work and life environments. Whiting Design strives for candour and objectivity, using advanced design thinking to solve your problems. Whiting Design doesn't preach, they listen and collaborate to help your space realize its full potential.
Notable GHG Reduction and Sustainability Projects:
- Significant reduction in motor vehicle usage in commuting and work related travels.
- Significant progress towards our paperless office goal.
- All office equipment is now Energy Star rated or better, high efficiency laptops at all workstations.
- Tied for first in the Commuter Challenge 2012.
- Teaching a Sustainability for Small Business course in the SEED school at Waterloo starting in Winter 2013
- Having two co-op students return or ask to return citing sustainability culture as a primary reason
- Being recognized as the greatest percentage GHG annual reduction member at the 2012 Evening of Recognition
- Ongoing support as an advisory board member of the Home Sweet Home green home industry and student competitions
Sustainability Culture at Whiting Design:
Whiting Design encourages and promotes all their above goals with existing and prospective employees. Their culture is formed on sustainability principles, from their location, to the work that they do and the way they go about it. Whiting Design participates in the community by sharing knowledge and supporting sustainability related initiatives whenever possible.
- 100% absolute carbon reduction in 10 years.
- Paperless operation within 5 years.
- Net benefit (energy reduction).
- Healthy, toxin-free work environment.
- Low emission commuting, motor vehicle use reduction, healthy living.
- Local sourcing of all goods and services.
Reduction Commitment Details:
Reduction Target: 100% in 10 years
Reductions to date: 1.02 t. CO2e (50%)
Absolute Emissions in 2011: 1.03 t. CO2e
GHG/employee: 0.32 t. CO2e
GHG/ft2: 1.08 kg CO2e
Base Year: 2010
Emissions in Base Year: 2.05 t. CO2e
Scope 3 Reporting:
- Business travel
- Employee commuting
« Back to RCI Member Profiles